Your eyes are one of your most important senses, and it’s important to take care of them. Good eye care can help you maintain clear vision throughout your life.
Here are some tips for good eye care:
- Get regular eye exams. The American Optometric Association (AOA) recommends that everyone get a comprehensive eye exam at least every two years. This exam will check for vision problems, eye diseases, and other health conditions.
- Wear sunglasses when you’re outside. Sunglasses protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. UV rays can cause cataracts, macular degeneration, and other eye problems.
- Eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet can help protect your eyes from disease. Eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help reduce your risk of developing eye problems.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can damage your eyes and increase your risk of developing eye diseases.
- Control your blood pressure. High blood pressure can damage your blood vessels, including those in your eyes. Controlling your blood pressure can help reduce your risk of developing eye problems.
- Manage your diabetes. Diabetes can damage your eyes and increase your risk of developing eye diseases. Managing your diabetes can help reduce your risk of developing eye problems.
By following these tips, you can help protect your eyes and maintain healthy vision throughout your life.
Here are some additional tips for good eye care:
- Take breaks from screens. If you spend a lot of time looking at screens, take breaks every 20 minutes to look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This will help reduce eye strain.
- Use a humidifier. If you live in a dry climate, using a humidifier can help reduce dry eyes.
- Wear goggles when you’re swimming or working in dusty or windy conditions. This will help protect your eyes from dirt, debris, and chemicals.
- Get enough sleep. When you’re well-rested, your eyes are better able to focus and see clearly.
If you have any concerns about your eye health, be sure to see an eye doctor.